Friday, March 4, 2016

Setting the Milk Snake Free

I was startled to see a snake gliding along our bedroom floor, while our cat snoozed comfortably on the bed.   How had it gotten in?   And once in, how had it gotten to the bedroom?

Our basement hosts quite a variety of wild creatures.   But now they've started coming up the stairs?  

Please, please, please--do not disappear into the machinery under our Sleep Number bed!   Do not disappear now only to emerge later at unexpected times!

I don't know if he heard my pleas, but agreeably, with no fuss or posturing, he climbed into a bucket.   Then we were off  to the prairietop, near the cemetery, where the Three Mile Limestone juts out.    "You're supposed to like rocky ledges," I told him, having just reviewed Milk Snakes in Joe Collins' book.    Then I turned the bucket on its side & started my camera.

The video shows how slowly & calmly he claimed his freedom.   Perhaps he was still a little sleepy from his winter's nap.

I hope he enjoys his wakefulness!  

Certainly we will have a better chance of enjoying our sleep now that he is back where he belongs.

My visitor belongs to the Great Plains variety of Milk Snake--Lampropeltis triangulum gentilis.



1 comment:

  1. Nate always had puzzling (to me!) affinity for snakes and was delighted to catch one of these when he was about ten. The plan was to take him to school for a spectacular show and tell, but Mr.Snake must not hqve approved and disappeared frm the glass tank in Nate's bedroom, never to be heard from again. (Which delighted ME!) Love reading about your prairie doings, Margy.

    ReplyDelete