Saturday, August 6, 2016

Restoring Bottomland Prairie: A Tale of Two Julys (2015 vs. 2016, Part 11)

New Things Under the Sun (of July 2016), cont.


New Eminences in the Creek Field:

1.)  Moth Mullein (Verbascum blattaria), formerly negligible, was prominent in the Creek Field in July 2016.

This introduced biennial in the Figwort family is well naturalized in North America.   It became an assertive presence in the Creek Field in 2016.  
One of the many Moth Mulleins to bloom
in the Creek Field in July 2016.

It was especially noticeable in the Toe.

2.)  Partridge Pea, (Chaemaecrista fasciculata) was in the seed-mix for the Field Buffer but not for the Creek Field.   This native annual in the Bean Family became noticeable in the Creek Field in July 2016.   

Check out that flower! 
Partirdge Pea Flower.
Creek Field, July 2016















3.)  American Germander (Teucrium canadense) is a hardy native perennial in the Mint Family.  It can grow rapidly in a wet  year.   2016 is a wet year!  Last year it volunteered modestly on the Field Buffer near the Loop Path.  This year, it tripled its presence in the buffer and also jumped into the Creek Field--a first for the Creek Field.   Currently, it exists there as isolated individuals.    

American Germander, native perennial volunteer.
Creek Field, July 2016

However, due to fast-growing rhizomes, it can quickly form colonies.   

This could be the start of something big!   

A New Challenge to Biodiversity

In July 2015, I was behind the curve.  I had let some Musk Thistle go to seed!  
Musk Thistle Going to Seed, Creek Field, July 2015

This year, I removed all the Musk Thistle before it set seed.

I also set the Crown Vetch back.

But while I was doing all that, Bindweed was stealing a march on me!  

Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) in the Creek Field, July 2016
I woke up one July day to realize that Bindweed had formed patches in the southern end of the Creek Field--no doubt deriving from mother-bunches along the driveway and in the barnyard.  This introduced perennial is a Noxious Weed in Kansas.   Its habit of twining itself around other plants, including valuable native perennials, means it cannot be sprayed while its neighbors are still growing.   

Still, there is an array of techniques for dealing with Bindweed.  

I am so glad I made a major effort with the other invasives in 2016.  I will have to continue monitoring them in 2017.  

But this fall & next spring I will make it a priority to remove as much Bindweed as possible!   

I will make 2017 The Year of Controlling Bindweed!  

Uh-oh.  That phrase has a double meaning.  Is "controllling" a verb with Bindweed as its object and "I" as implied subject, so that it would be the year of me dominating this invasive?  Or is "controlling" an adjective describing Bindweed, so that a characteristic of Bindweed is to limit and dominate implied objects, one of which would be me?

You can read it both ways!  

Similarly, when one engages in real-world "Bindweed control," there are dual & opposite possible outcomes!  






1 comment:

  1. Best of luck in the controlling bindweed police action. When I was director of the Fort Hays State Historic Site (1981-1988), I and my staff launched a seven-year war against bindweed (no ambiguity, it was the enemy) that was overrunning the blue grama and buffalo grass on the sixteen-acre battlefield that was the historic site's grounds. After a multi-year campaign of sustained and intensive pulling, spraying, burning, and whacking, the bindweed was as established as ever, perhaps gaining some ground.

    I really enjoy the photos and the informed commentary on prairie flora and fauna. American Germander has always been one of my favorites. Nice to see it become established there.

    ReplyDelete