Saturday, July 30, 2016

Restoring Bottomland Prairie: A Tale of Two Julys (2015 vs. 2016, Part 5)

In July 2015, I posted photos of pollinators on plants in the wetland part of the Creek Field, at     http://prairiecommunity.blogspot.com/2015/08/9-restoring-bottomland-prairie-9.html

There were photos of a Wood Nymph on Sawtooth Sunflower, an American Painted Lady on a Purple Coneflower blossom, and a Red Admiral on Purple Coneflower as well.

Now in July 2016, I have seen only one or two Wood Nymphs flying in the Creek Field (none stationary enough to be photographed) and no American Painted Lady.  I have, however, seen a Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta), once again on Purple Coneflower.  Note the Southern Plains Bumble Bee and the tiny green spider that appear with the Red Admiral in this video:




When I looked for butterflies, what I found was...Sulphurs.  

People all over Kansas are talking about the dearth of butterflies in 2016.   However, others are seeing what I have noticed, too--that whatever the bottleneck is that held back butterflies this year, the Sulphurs managed to slip through it.  Sulphurs are numerous all over the Creek Field and have been plentiful from the beginning of the growing season. 

Here Sulphurs (sub-family Coliadinae) rest on a grass stem near the ground, flutter over Canada Milkvetch blossoms (joined by a Plains Bumble Bee), and sip nectar from Bee Balm.



Also appearing in the Creek Field in July 2016 is the Gorgone Checkerspot.  In other years, this butterfly has flown in great numbers in the spring, just as the Golden Alexanders start to bloom.  Not this year!  The one shown here is one of only two I've seen this year.  




The main pollinators this year are bees.  Especially prominent is Bombus fraternus, the Plains Bumble Bee.  In this clip, B. fraternus is joined by a feral Honey Bee, to the accompaniment of katydids, a Dickcissel, a Barred Owl, cicadas, and right at the end, Deci panting--letting me know she's tired of photography. 



I feel grateful to the Creek Field in July 2016, because it introduced me to a new insect.

This tiny bee-mimic stole my heart.  Covered with white fuzz, she  flies near the ground, in an almost vertical position.  Her wings are thin and at times appear in a straight line, all edges parallel.  


My Superhero Dr. Beeman, using his x-ray vision to count wings that to me are only a blur, informed me that my little "bee" has only two wings & is therefore a member of the fly-order, Diptera.  

Finally, bugguide.net identified this sweetheart as a Tangle-veined Fly, family Nemestrinidae.  They forage near the ground and make a loud buzz.   Their larvae are parasitoids of grasshoppers and scarab beetles.  They are a check on grasshopper populations.  

In this clip, my mystery flyer is nectaring on Hedge Parsley (wouldn't you know), while a second one hovers mid-stem around foxtails.   

Deep down in the vegetation, these buzzing nectar-seekers are easy to miss.  The first one I saw only because the white hairs stood out in the dusk; the second one I spotted only because of its constant buzz.



I am so fond of this tiny flyer!  

Like magic, in July 2016, just like in July 2015, the Creek Field has helped me learn and care.

No comments:

Post a Comment