Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Restoring Bottomland Prairie, May-June 2016: Controlling Musk Thistle


Musk Thistle (Carduus nutans) was deliberately imported
from southern Europe for floral gardens.  It is now
officially a Noxious Weed.  
Ron & I both think Musk Thistle looks like extraterrestrials!

They can deliver a very earthly hurt to the restorationist, however.

After being stabbed & scratched & generally savaged while filling 10 garbage bags with these aggressive invaders, I am determined not to overlook the rosettes next year.   


Musk Thistle in the Creek Field
Non-native biennial or
winter annual.
Aggressive volunteer!
The flat rosettes can be controlled with a simple squirt of herbicide, no bloodshed involved.   

I didn't take the stitch in time;
now I'm paying with the nine!        

The only advantage on my side is that Musk Thistle can't hide.  It's got to rise up tall with its gorgeous magenta bloom.   
I was able to pull up many thistles by the
roots.  Recent rains had made the
ground that soft!  




Therefore, I can catch it before it sets seed.

But who knows how many Musk Thistle seeds are already lurking in the seed bank, just waiting for next year? 

I can only hope there is an equivalent vigilance lurking in my soul!  



No comments:

Post a Comment