Friday, December 4, 2015

Harris' Sparrows--One Question Answered

I do love these Harris' Sparrows!

They reconcile me to the arrival of winter.   As stems die  & leaves fall, the bare branches bloom with birds.

My bird book says Harris' Sparrows have calls that go "tseep" and "wink."  It says their song includes long whistles, often on the  same pitch.

Those whistles are unmistakable--among the most beautiful of nature's sounds.

Yet for weeks now, in addition to the expected vocalizations,  I have been hearing bubbly burbles--not tseeps, winks, or whistles.   Were these songs coming from other winter birds--perhaps the Tree Sparrows or Juncoes?    For a long time I could not get close enough to tell.    But tonight I focused my camera on a singing Harris' Sparrow, and sure enough, out of the opened bill came the bubbly burble!  Nearby birds were whistling, but this one was burbling!    

I was able to get audio to go with the video (below).   It was exhilarating to find an answer to my question--to finally connect a singer with the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment